Monday, February 25, 2008

A tribute to Ah Gong

"Ah Gong!! 早!! (Morning!!)"

"Eei! 早,早(Morning, morning)."

On the way to school, I would usually pass by Ah Gong, sitting on the steps, resting after his morning walk. He does this, everyday, with great difficulty on his roller supporter. Then he would attach a string to his supporter and then relying on the handle bars of the stairs, climb up 4 stories all the way back home and slowly reel up his roller supporter when he reached the 4th floor. He used to swim too but stopped 1 or 2 years back.

Ah Gong is actually my neighbour upstairs. It all started when my mum asked me to call him Ah Gong, and I continued for the next 11 years. A nice jovial guy, with his cap, grey bermudas and white shirt, doing the same thing everyday, constantly, though with great effort. I have always wondered how he manages such a punishing task daily and never knew why he did those long morning walks. He moved, a step at a time, each step with enormous effort, pushing his roller walker forward, step by step.

A weak yet strong Ah Gong. Self reliant, he never let me help him up the stairs, prefering to walk up himself. I wonder if i would have such strength at his age... I highly doubt so, even at my age. I never really talked much with him, 95 percent of the time not exceeding the 2 lines at the start. Nevertheless, there is a certain part of him, already deeply etched in me.

Dear Ah Gong, I never really knew you. But my friend, constant companion throughout the last 12 years, you may not know your impact on my life, but I'll always remember you.


"Going to school?"

"AH(yes)!! Ah Gong bye bye!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey tiong han,
i like this post. it makes my heart feel so warm and fuzzy reading it. :)

cindee

tongshienic said...

simply yet a touching post...

We should really be good and then be grateful for all the ppl and things that are around us...

Like that ah gong, i really want to praise you for caring of him(by talking to him) all the way till now...

Tiong Han! GOod JOb!

tongshienic said...

GOSH?! He passed away straight after you post this?!

My condolences...